In their affinity and connection to the Maasai people, George and Vanessa Roumeguere together run the Dawntodusk Foundation specifically aiming to empower the lives of local communities within the Mara-Serengeti eco-regions.
George’s upbringing amongst the Maasai community and his experience in conservation, humanitarian, logistics and security missions makes him the ideal candidate to take on such a project.
Vanessa has been focusing for the last few years on the promotion of education amongst Maasai girls.
The Foundation aims to:
- Provide local communities with the skills they would require in order to work within the tourism and conservation sectors which in turn will give them ownership of these sectors.
- Assist conservation & park management authorities in their anti-poaching and security patrols, and community projects.
- Partake in reforestation & conservation programs
- Provide communities with clean water in strategic locations
- Provide communities with alternatives to charcoal and firewood
- Counsel communities on alternative ways to battle HIV, land loss and other socio-economic problems often brought upon them by alcoholism
- Consult and work with other initiatives with the same goals